Wanna know what day it is?
Worry Free Wednesday!
Y’all want honesty, right? Always. I seriously spend more time worrying about not being put together than almost anything else. This whole mom thing is not for the weak. Most days I am drenched in sweat (hello ninety-eight degree weather and no air conditioning), covered in a mixture of baby drool and spit up, and completely incapable of telling you when I last showered. Between being a full time mama and being the owner of my own small business (AND adding Beautycounter to my business), my life is just plain crazy.
I know, I know, show myself a little grace, right? Cut myself a little slack?
I feel like that’s the thing… I constantly show myself grace and cut myself a little (a lot) slack. But what happens is that somewhere in the midst of all that grace and slack I stop enjoying myself. After a while I just start to feel sluggish and gross.
The entire population of women can probably agree with me when I say that I literally feel better about myself when I just put a little effort into getting ready and make a few small attempts to feel beautiful.
And when I feel beautiful, I accomplish more. I feel like a better mom, a better business owner, and a better wife. And it all starts with a few small efforts to show myself a little love and care for my appearance!
So with that in mind, I decided to share my simple beauty tricks that make me feel like a million bucks and give me the oomph needed to conquer my day with confidence!
- Get dressed every day! This one is for all my mom boss friends especially! If you’re wondering how in the world this qualifies as a beauty trick, just try it. Get up and get dressed! Of course there are definitely exceptions to this (when your kids beg you for a pajama and movie day), but it can be so easy for stay at home/work from home mamas (and even non-mamas) to just spend most of our day wearing what we slept in the night before. Whether it’s because we are so busy that we forget, or we are just lazy and don’t want to change, it’s easy for us to neglect the power of a good outfit. I don’t care if it’s your favorite leggings and flowy top, your jeans and tee look, or your best athleisure wear- take the time to throw on some clothes that make you feel good when you look in the mirror.
- Wash your face! Not only is it just a good idea to wash your face, it is also true that washing your face can really wake you up. Want a bonus burst of energy? Finish washing your face with cold water just at the very end. It gives you a little kick AND it boosts your circulation! My favorite daily remedy involves this charcoal cleansing bar and this simple face cream. Having a simple routine for my face gives me a nice little wakeup and it makes me feel better about myself knowing that I am taking care of my skin.
- Wear some mascara! Nothing makes me feel as put together and awake as a simple coat of mascara! Right now I am absolutely L-O-V-I-N-G Beautycounter’s lengthening mascara! If you haven’t tried it yet, do yourself a favor and snag one right this minute! It makes me feel uhhhh-maze-ing when I look in the mirror, but it also does not irritate my eyes. The cons of an annoying mascara are no longer an excuse for me because Beautycounter nailed it with this one!
- Do your hair! This will seriously look different for everyone, but whatever your go-to hairstyle is that makes you feel sexy- that’s what you need to be doing. I have what I like to call “problem hair.” You know, the perfect storm of fine, thin, dry, and curly that is absolutely impossible. Right now, my go-to solution is this sea salt texture spray that makes me feel like I am fresh off the beach. I spray it all over with my head flipped upside down, then I flip my hair back over and let it dry before putting my hair up in a messy top knot. For whatever reason, this makes me feel far more put together than when my hair is messy and down. I am also being more intentional about actually styling my hair after I wash it. I recently starting trying a wide variety of sulfate free hair products. You can read about that here and see all the different brands I recommend. I also purchased a nice hair dryer and diffuser (this was a big deal for me). In my opinion, buying a nicer product that wouldn’t damage my hair was worth a few extra bucks! Little by little I am learning how to take care of my hair in a way that doesn’t leave it even more damaged.
- Put a pop of color on your lips! I seriously used to hate lip color. I could not handle the thought of a look that wasn’t natural. But here’s the thing, not only are there plenty of lip colors that still fall into the natural look category, but adding a splash of less-than-natural color can also be pretty fun and exciting! Find a color that makes you feel beautiful and wear it when you need a little boost in your self esteem! If you need good lip color suggestions, just ask! I have several friends that work in the beauty industry and have tons of lip color specific beauty tricks up their sleeves!
- Use a body scrub! Get your booty in a nice hot bath and use this lemongrass sugar scrub. I know most of us full time mamas and work from home mamas all feel like we “just don’t have time.” Maybe that is true, but we just need to make time. Taking care of ourselves actually helps us to take care of others and take care of business. Make the time. You won’t regret it!
These might seem like simple beauty tricks, or maybe not even like beauty tricks at all, but I promise you these simple things have transformed my days. I feel like I am more on my game and just overall a better person when take these little steps and care for myself. I feel more alert and put together which leads me to be happier and get more done, and I feel more beautiful, which makes me a more enjoyable wife.
Maybe you need to pick and choose from these beauty tricks and add in a few of your own! Whatever it looks like for you, take the time to care for yourself and take little steps to feel more beautiful every day!
What are your beauty tricks? Share with me in the comment section below!