Have you ever looked up recipes for roasted vegetables and despite the beautiful pictures of perfectly roasted goodness, yours just simply didn’t turn out that way?
And it’s so annoying.
I love vegetables, and I especially love when they are roasted well- which means they are browned and just beginning to crisp on the outside, but still moist and tender on the inside.
I can’t promise you any one formula that will be perfect- because I believe in honesty, and it’s simply not that easy to peg this stuff down.
I mean, we have different ovens, different crops, different humidity levels- you get me.
What I can promise you are some tips and tools that will help you learn how to get that perfect roast.
Toss your veggies well in the oil- make sure all surfaces are evenly coated on all sides.
- Spread your veggies evenly in one single layer on the baking sheet- this helps each piece get all the heat attention that it needs.
- If you have a convection setting on your oven- use it.
- Watch for hot spots- if you need to rotate or turn your veggies, try to only do it once so you don’t mess with the edges that would have been crisp had you not smashed them.
- If all else fails- for the last five minutes of your baking, turn that broiler on! It won’t hurt- as long as you don’t forget about the veggies! (if you do, that’s a whole different story)
Also, if you get it wrong, try again. Just take note of what exactly was wrong so you know what you need to fix the next time.
And now- the info you’ve all been waiting for…
Roasted veggies with feta cheese are pretty much my new favorite thing.
I used butternut squash and broccoli, but you can use almost any veggie you want for this. Also, I prepped mine ahead of time and froze them so that I would have everything ready to do this quickly. You don’t have to do this, I just knew that my week was going to be busy.
Also, I included a picture of the butter I use- because in my opinion it’s the only choice!
Just kidding, you can use whatever butter you like, but I am not a fan of canola/vegetable oil- it simply isn’t good for you.
Finally- leave the cheese out if you want, or replace it with goat cheese or even parmesan to meet your personal flavor and health needs!
Oh, ps, I served these roasted veggies with these amazing and healthy sloppy janes.. (you know, the way more classy version of a sloppy joe?)
Roasted Vegetables With Feta Cheese
Here's What You Need
- 2 c cubed butternut squash
- 2 c broccoli cut if desired
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
Here's What You Do
Preheat oven to 400F.
Toss veggies in melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to coat evenly.
Spread on baking sheet, using parchment paper if desired.
Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
Bake for 18-20 minutes. Veggies should be browned and beginning to crisp.
Remove from oven and immediately toss with feta cheese. Serve and Enjoy!
- I cut my veggies ahead of time and freeze them so that this side dish is super easy with very little day-of prep. It’s also totally fine if you want to do the peeling and cutting the day of!
- You can also use coconut oil or olive oil if you prefer instead of butter.